Here are several prompts to help you through the transition of getting back to school. You may want to use these prompts to shift your mindset, get clear on your goals for the first quarter of the school year or create a self-care plan.
School Related Journal Prompts
- How do I feel about teaching at this moment?
- What is my purpose for teaching?
- What do I enjoy about teaching?
- What do I dislike about teaching?
- What lessons have I learned from teaching?
- What are my favorite lessons to teach?
- What plans do I have for the first quarter?
- How will I stay energized throughout the day?
- What will cheer me up if I have a bad day?
- My plan for time management at school is…
- What can I do if I feel unheard?
- How can I be better at listening?
- What can I learn from a failed lesson plan?
Home and personal Time Journal Prompts
- How will I take care of myself?
- Create a self-care plan.
- My plan for time management at home is…
- How will I stay present with my family?
- How will I deal with stress at home?
- Who can I go to for support?
- What tasks can I take off my plate and or delicate?
- The activities that bring me joy are…
Journal Prompts for Moving Forward
- What is my biggest struggle right now?
- What is the first step I can take to overcome that struggle?
- What is coming easily to me right now?
- How can I bring that feeling to other parts of my life?
- What am I grateful for in this moment?
- How can I bring more joy into my life?
- What are my long-term goals? (Personally or professionally)
- What action steps do I need to take to achieve my goals?
- What small actions can I take? (Today, this week, this month etc)
There you have it. 30 journal prompts to help you through the transition back to school. You can pick the ones that call to you and work from there. Even if you write for five to ten minutes a day. Journaling is a great way to process thoughts and feelings as well as a brain dump. You can get rid of all that clutter in your head before starting the day or going to bed at night. Does journaling help you in any aspect of teaching? Let me know in the comments.